We believe that visiting a dental hygienist is as important as visiting the dentist. A clean and healthy mouth reduces the need for fillings, the possibility of gum disease (gingivitis) and the need for potentially expensive restorative dentistry. This also allows for fresher breath and a gleaming smile. Recent research shows that gingivitis is linked to heart disease and is another reason why seeing our hygienist for regular visits will benefit your overall health.
What happens in your Dental Hygienist appointment?
The Dental Hygienist will:
- Check your medical history and ask if you have any dental problems.
- Discuss your oral health, for example the treatment and prevention of gum (periodontal) disease, receding gums, and tooth wear.
- Give oral hygiene advice, for example tooth brushing and flossing technique.
- Check the appearance of the gums, to see if there is any inflammation or bleeding.
- Remove any hard deposits (calculus) and stain by scaling your teeth.
- Polish your teeth.